The Countryside Society is open to anyone interested in Natural History. We have talks in the Hornby Institute by invited speakers on the evenings of the 3rd Friday of October, November, January, February, March, April. The charge for attending all six of these is £10 per annum. The charge for attending any one of them is £4. A programme card for the current winter season, giving the titles of talks and the speakers, is available from the secretary David Newton. Notices of the next talk appear in most of the village monthly magazines in the Lune Valley.
As you know, United Utilities is the water and wastewater company that serves over 7 million customers in over 3 million homes right across the North West, and we have been doing a lot over the past couple of years to improve our services in giving more support to those who need it most.
We all need a little bit of extra help at some stage in our lives. This could be due to age, ill health, a disability, mental health problems, financial worries or even language barriers. By registering for our free Priority Services scheme, customers could benefit from additional free services from us, to support their particular needs, including:
- A free phone number connecting them to a dedicated, externally trained team, to listen, help and support
- Nominate a carer, family member or even a friend to speak to us on their behalf
- A knock and wait service, so if they have mobility needs we’ll always wait, allowing them enough time to answer the door
- We’ll notify them of any planned interruptions to their water supply
- Bills and letters could be printed in braille, large print or even on coloured paper
- Add a password to their account as added protection from bogus callers
- Translation services if English isn’t their first language
- Help and advice if they’re struggling to pay their water bill
For customers with internet access, there’s even an online accessibility tool, changing the look of our website to suit their needs. All they have to do is click on the ‘Accessibility Help’ button on the bottom right of each page of our website.
You don’t even have to be the account holder to join and registration really couldn’t be easier. You can either:
- Visit our website unitedutilities.com/priorityservices and complete a simple online form
- Call our friendly Priority Services team direct on 0345 072 6093
- Also, when someone registers with us, with their consent, we could also add their details to a similar free scheme with Electricity North West (who manage the electricity network in our region). If eligible, this would provide additional support if there was ever a loss of power too – so two for the price of one!